Right now retailers are being encouraged to include black-owned businesses on their shelves. The 15% percent pledge is a petition that was created for major box retailers to pledge 15% of their shelf space to black-owned businesses. I did some research over the weekend and put together a list of #blackownedbeauty products that you can help support, some of which you have probably heard of!
- Briogeo by Nancy Twine – I use this product, and love it. The deep conditioning mask is so good, but the best part is that it’s founded by a black female, Nancy Twine ,and can be used by anyone! Nancy was inspired by her grandmother and mother’s beauty recipes and decided to create her own product line!
- Pat McGrath Labs by Mat McGrath – A self-trained makeup artist who launched her own beauty product line became a $1B company. She was inspired by her mother who encouraged her with “It will be a problem for you if you don’t love what you do. So make sure!” She’s also TIME’s 100 most influential people.
- KNC Beauty by Kristen Noel Crawley – A wife, a mother of two boys, and a jewlery designer was inspired by a trip in Tokyo where she realized there was no lip masks in the market so she created the first all-natural, collagen-infused lip mask!
- Golde by Trinity Mouzon Wofford – She’s based in Brooklyn and she’s on a mission of bringing good vibes to the wellness industry. Her vision was that wellness and superfoods ought to be more approachable, inclusive, and (yes) fun. She started her business at age 23 with no resources or funding and within a few years launched in Sephora, UO, Goop, and The Wing. I def need to add this to my shopping cart to help improve my wellness routine for stress and energy.
- Qhemet Biologics by Felis Butler – Founded in 2004 to address the hair needs of people with highly textured, dry hair. She thinks retailers should do more to extend their outreach into minority digital spaces, especially in relation to smaller brands, to increase brand recognition and help them better compete in a crowded market.” For the rest of us – “Continue to live unapologetically in your own skin, flaunt your natural beauty and embrace your rich history.”
- Fenty Beauty by Rihanna – We all know the talented Rihanna for her music, but we should also recognize her for her popular beauty line “Fenty”. I love trying out different foundations and have heard so many good things about Fenty, so I’ll be adding this to the shopping cart! There are 50 shades which is amazing, so you’ll def find something that matches your skin tone no matter what color it is.